Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oatmeal = Life

Now Aliza is an amazing person, funny, pretty, a good cook and baker, the list goes on and on. However, last we spoke about it, she is a failure at making oatmeal. This makes me so sad because oatmeal is basically what makes my life go on. It's one of the 3 breakfasts I eat and is so warm, comforting, and delicious. Now I'm NOT talking those fake instant super-sweet heat in the micro for 1 minute oatmeal. I'm talking REAL oatmeal.

Back in the day when I was gross and unhealthy I used to always skip breakfast, "saving" my calories for later in the day. Now I know better. One of the most important lessons I've learned during my journey to better health and better eating has been the necessity and immense benefits of breakfast. When you wake up after fasting all night your body needs fuel or else it will start breaking down muscles for energy (not good) And as far as breakfasts go: my oatmeal is a champion. Whole grains, fruit, and milk provide tons of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. 


After many, many variations of oatmeal, I have finally mastered the PERFECT bowl. Now, it is a little time-consuming, but I promise you it is so worth it.

Sarah's Super Oatmeal (lame, sorry)
1. In a small pot combine 1/2 cup dry oats, 1 cup water, pinch of salt, 1/2 banana, sliced. Stir. Turn on heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes until oatmeal thickens.
2. Add 1/2 cup milk and the other half of sliced banana. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in cinnamon and vanilla extract.
4. Enjoy



This long process creates such a creamy, thick, filling bowl of oatmeal. Seriously, just look at how thick it is: the spoon rests on a nice little pillow of yummy oats.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed, OATS= AMAZING

Aliza said...

THANK YOU sarah! Maybe this will cure my unable-to-make-oatmeal disease. It looks totally delicious (except for the bananas...I'll substitute).