Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Recent Food Forays

Seeing as Sarah has totally put me to shame regarding posts and recipes, I thought I would share some of my more recent shots at food glory. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of my own, but the professional ones are better anyway.


So, last week I tried making Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chunk Bread Pudding (sounds unreal, right?) which has been calling out to me from the March 2008 Bon Appetit for weeks now. The picture makes it look completely saturated with the caramel mixture, and loaded with pockets of chocolate, a must in my book (speaking of which, those calcium supplements sounds awesome, I'm getting some ASAP).

Unfortunately, the recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DULCE-DE-LECHE-AND-CHOCOLATE-CHUNK-BREAD-PUDDING-241630 didn't turn out to be quite as amazing as it looks. Although it says to toast the bread "until it begins to color", I would suggest taking it out of the oven even earlier. The less toasted the bread is, the more it will be able to absorb the liquid later. Also, next time I'm going to try adding a little more liquid -- it calls for 1.5 cups of cream; I would suggest adding some extra milk. The bread soaked up everything, but there were still chunks that could have absorbed a lot more. Overall, the first run with this wasn't a blowout, but this recipe has HUGE potential just be tweaking it a little!



A few nights ago I tried another magazine recipe, this time from Food & Wine. The Grilled Tuna with Smoked-Almond Romesco Sauce http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-tuna-with-smoked-almond-romesco-sauce jumped out at me as a simple but creative use of flavors. Unfortunately I couldn't find tuna steaks anywhere, so I went with salmon...it was still a good combination, but I think the sauce would have complimented tuna a little better. I also didn't have smoked almonds, as the recipe called for, but raw almonds worked perfectly. This was a delicious sauce; light and simple, the flavors were subtle and not overbearing. I think it would be great over pasta, and also with grilled chicken. It was great!

1 comment:

MTJordan12 said...

I thought you said that was "GRILLED TUNA" not TUNA SUSHI. I'm pretty sure it is still bleeding.